Page 65 - FSJ - 070812

This is a SEO version of FSJ - 070812. Click here to view full version

« Previous Page Table of Contents Next Page »
J U LY - A U G U S T 2 0 1 2 / F O R E I G N S E R V I C E J O U R N A L
Marguerite (Owens) Anderson
92, wife of the late Foreign Service of-
ficer William Otto Anderson, died on
Jan. 7 in Kensington, Md., her home
since 1960.
Marguerite Anderson grew up in
the St. Louis area and attended Mac-
Murray College in Jacksonville, Ill.,
where she obtained a bachelor’s degree
in business after switching from a
music major (she was a pianist). Later,
she took teaching-related graduate
courses at the University of Maryland.
She accompanied her husband to
postings abroad for 20 years, including
South Africa (where their twin sons
were born), Thailand, Singapore and
Germany. Active in the community
wherever she found herself, Mrs. An-
derson helped start the American
School in Singapore and taught fifth
and sixth-grade classes there. She also
helped start a school for Chinese
women to learn home economics and
domestic skills and another that taught
Chinese children to read.
In West Berlin, Mrs. Anderson was
president of the American Women’s
Club, chaired the American Red Cross
Grey Ladies, and organized and taught
English and American customs to Ger-
man war brides. In addition, she
chaired the “Conference of American
Women’s Activities in Germany” held
inWiesbaden. She wrote and lectured
on business- and club-related activities,
including “How to Run a Meeting,”
and conducted a seminar on club pro-
The couple returned from Berlin
and settled in the Kensington area in
1960. There Mrs. Anderson taught
business courses at the former Ken-
sington Junior High and at Richard
Montgomery High School. She work-
ed as a legal secretary in several firms
and wrote a number of business-re-
lated pieces, including “How to Run a
An active member of Business and
Professional Women, she twice served
as president of the Kensington chap-
ter. She also spoke to various groups,
including her alma mater, to dash the
myth that Americans overseas “live
only unto themselves.”
Mrs. Anderson was predeceased by
her husband in 1964 and by her son,
Michael, in 2011. She is survived by
her daughter, Narda R. Anderson of
Reisterstown, Md.; a son, MarkW. An-
derson of Saint Augustine, Fla.; four
grandchildren and five great-grand-
Mary Buell
, 89, a former FSO,
wife of the late FSO Elim O’Shaugh-
nessy and wife of the late FSOWilliam
A. Buell, died on May 12.
Born Mary Wilson Cutler on Feb.
12, 1923, in Brookline, Mass., Mary
Buell graduated from St. Timothy’s
School near Baltimore in 1940. After a
year at Erskine Junior College in
Boston, she became a cub reporter for
Baltimore Sun
She spent most of the rest of her ca-
reer overseas, working for the Office of
Special Services in Ceylon from 1944
to 1945, for the U.S. military in Shang-
hai from 1945 to 1946 and for the State
Department in Washington, Munich
and Bonn.
In 1957, she married a fellow For-
eign Service officer, Elim O’Shaugh-
nessy, which required her to resign
from the Service (the rules of the day
dictated that no female FSO could be
married). She accompanied her hus-
band on postings to Belgrade, where
their first two children were born;
London, where their last child was
born; and Budapest, where Mr.
O’Shaughnessy died in 1966.
As Mary O’Shaughnessy, she work-
ed as director of the Massachusetts In-
stitute of Technology conference cen-
ter in Dedham, Mass., until she
married William A. Buell Jr. in 1969.
This second marriage to an FSO
brought her four stepchildren and took
her to Paris, Brussels, Washington and
back to Munich.
In 1979, the Buells settled again in
Washington, D.C., when he became
vice president of Radio Free Europe/