The Foreign Service Journal, November 2015

THE FOREIGN SERVICE JOURNAL | NOVEMBER 2015 81 n Allan Ray Furman, 83, an FSOwith USAID, died on July 15 at his home in Deerfield Beach, Fla., after a series of hip replacement surgeries. Mr. Furman dedicated his life to help- ing others less fortunate than himself, working first with the U.S. Agency for International Development and then with the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization. During his Foreign Service career, he was posted to Dhaka, Port-au- Prince, Rome, Kingston and Sana’a. Family and friends recall his sense of humor; love for his wife, children and fam- ily; and his passion for woodworking. Mr. Furman is survived by his wife of 35 years, Sharon; eight children and 11 grandchildren; his brothers, Ed and Grant; his sister, Marge; andmany nieces and nephews. Charitable contributions inMr. Fur- man’s name may be made to Save the Children. n Marjorie SlighthamHabib, 95, wife of the late FSO Ambassador Philip C. Habib, died on Aug. 12 in California. Mrs. Habib was born inMinnesota and spent her early years in Idaho before moving to Nevada with her mother. She met her future husband, Philip Habib, a native of Brooklyn, N.Y., then studying at the University of Idaho, in 1939, when he accompanied a classmate to Reno during Christmas vacation. Mr. andMrs. Habib married shortly before his deployment to the European theater in the U.S. Army dur- ing WorldWar II. As a Foreign Service spouse, Mrs. Habib accompanied her husband on his early assignments to Ottawa, Wellington and Port of Spain. Later postings included Paris, where Mr. Habib was the senior- most FSO at the VietnamPeace Talks (1968-1971), and Seoul, during Mr. Habib’s ambassadorship (1971-1974). IN MEMORY Throughout their long marriage, Mrs. Habib was an indispensable, beloved and full partner. She supported Amb. Habib in graduate school and throughout his career, including his time as under secretary for political affairs in both the Ford and Carter administrations. After a major heart attack forcedMr. Habib to leave the seventh floor of the State Department and relocate to Califor- nia, Mrs. Habib was instrumental in his recovery, which permitted him to return to active service as senior adviser to Secretar- ies of State Alexander Haig and George Shultz and as special envoy for President Ronald Reagan in the Middle East, Philip- pines and Central America. Mrs. Habib loved spending time with her family and had wide-ranging inter- ests. She excelled at cooking, especially American, French, Korean and Leba- nese cuisines. She was an accomplished gardener, both at her homes in the United States and abroad, and established a rose garden at the ambassador’s residence in Seoul. She also lovedmusic and, as a young woman, was a gifted athlete. She followed all major sports with enthusiasm through- out her life. She followed international news and domestic politics carefully and always welcomed the opportunity to discuss current events with relatives and friends of all ages. Mrs. Habib shared with her late hus- band, who was elected president of AFSA in 1967, an abiding belief that a career in the U.S. Foreign Service was among the greatest privileges imaginable. Mrs. Habib was predeceased by her husband, who died in 1992. She is survived by her daughters, Phyllis and Susan, and granddaughters, Maren andMeagan. n LindaM. (Jacobsen) Jay, 75, former wife of retired FSO Ambassador William L. “Jake” Jacobsen Jr., died on Aug. 17 in Durham, N.C., of brain cancer. Ms. Jay was born in Seattle, Wash., on June 7, 1940, toMary Ellen and Clint Perkins. She graduated from the Univer- sity of Washington with a double major in English and history. She and her husband, WilliamL. Jacobsen Jr., were the first sister city exchange teachers to represent Seattle in Kobe, Japan, where they lived from 1961 to 1964. In 1966, Mr. Jacobsen joined the Foreign Service with the U.S. Information Agency. Ms. Jay accompanied him to Rio de Janeiro, where he learned Portuguese and underwent junior officer training. In 1967, they moved to São Paulo, where Ms. Jay managed the U.S. commissary. From 1969 to 1971, the couple was assigned to Belem, at the mouth of the Amazon River. In 1971, they transferred to Lisbon, where they were present for the 1974 army coup that overthrew the fascist dictator- ship and launched the decolonization of Angola, Mozambique, Guinea Bissau and Cape Verde. In late 1974, the couple was posted to Mozambique, only to be transferred a year later when the country’s new president asked for new diplomats. InWashington, Ms. Jay worked at the U.S. Department of State Family Liaison Office. During this tour, she also earned her real estate license and worked for Polinger Shannon & Luchs Realtors. After three years, the couple was reassigned to Botswana, where Ms. Jay interviewed Angolan refugees for the embassy. A six-month posting followed in Namibia, where Mr. Jacobsen directed the U.S. Liaison Office. Ms. Jay’s final post was Guinea-Bissau. When the Jacobsens divorced in 1992, she turned her home inWashington, D.C., into “Mrs. Jay’s Bed & Breakfast.” According to family and friends, she was a gracious