The Foreign Service Journal, July-August 2012

J U LY- A U G U S T 2 0 1 2 / F O R E I G N S E R V I C E J O U R N A L 65 Marguerite (Owens) Anderson , 92, wife of the late Foreign Service of- ficer William Otto Anderson, died on Jan. 7 in Kensington, Md., her home since 1960. Marguerite Anderson grew up in the St. Louis area and attended Mac- Murray College in Jacksonville, Ill., where she obtained a bachelor’s degree in business after switching from a music major (she was a pianist). Later, she took teaching-related graduate courses at the University of Maryland. She accompanied her husband to postings abroad for 20 years, including South Africa (where their twin sons were born), Thailand, Singapore and Germany. Active in the community wherever she found herself, Mrs. An- derson helped start the American School in Singapore and taught fifth and sixth-grade classes there. She also helped start a school for Chinese women to learn home economics and domestic skills and another that taught Chinese children to read. In West Berlin, Mrs. Anderson was president of the American Women’s Club, chaired the American Red Cross Grey Ladies, and organized and taught English and American customs to Ger- man war brides. In addition, she chaired the “Conference of American Women’s Activities in Germany” held inWiesbaden. She wrote and lectured on business- and club-related activities, including “How to Run a Meeting,” and conducted a seminar on club pro- gramming. The couple returned from Berlin and settled in the Kensington area in 1960. There Mrs. Anderson taught business courses at the former Ken- sington Junior High and at Richard Montgomery High School. She work- ed as a legal secretary in several firms and wrote a number of business-re- lated pieces, including “How to Run a Club.” An active member of Business and Professional Women, she twice served as president of the Kensington chap- ter. She also spoke to various groups, including her alma mater, to dash the myth that Americans overseas “live only unto themselves.” Mrs. Anderson was predeceased by her husband in 1964 and by her son, Michael, in 2011. She is survived by her daughter, Narda R. Anderson of Reisterstown, Md.; a son, MarkW. An- derson of Saint Augustine, Fla.; four grandchildren and five great-grand- children. Mary Buell , 89, a former FSO, wife of the late FSO Elim O’Shaugh- nessy and wife of the late FSOWilliam A. Buell, died on May 12. Born Mary Wilson Cutler on Feb. 12, 1923, in Brookline, Mass., Mary Buell graduated from St. Timothy’s School near Baltimore in 1940. After a year at Erskine Junior College in Boston, she became a cub reporter for the Baltimore Sun . She spent most of the rest of her ca- reer overseas, working for the Office of Special Services in Ceylon from 1944 to 1945, for the U.S. military in Shang- hai from 1945 to 1946 and for the State Department in Washington, Munich and Bonn. In 1957, she married a fellow For- eign Service officer, Elim O’Shaugh- nessy, which required her to resign from the Service (the rules of the day dictated that no female FSO could be married). She accompanied her hus- band on postings to Belgrade, where their first two children were born; London, where their last child was born; and Budapest, where Mr. O’Shaughnessy died in 1966. As Mary O’Shaughnessy, she work- ed as director of the Massachusetts In- stitute of Technology conference cen- ter in Dedham, Mass., until she married William A. Buell Jr. in 1969. This second marriage to an FSO brought her four stepchildren and took her to Paris, Brussels, Washington and back to Munich. In 1979, the Buells settled again in Washington, D.C., when he became vice president of Radio Free Europe/ I N M EMORY