High School Essay Contest Resources
Students beginning their research for the 2018 National High School Essay Contest may wish to consider the following resources. Be sure to view past winners’ essays, rules and guidelines, and a helpful writer’s checklist.
- The U.S. Institute of Peace has developed a comprehensive study guide for this year's contest (the guide will be available in few weeks).
“Basics” of Peacebuilding and Diplomacy
- AFSA’s book: Inside a U.S. Embassy: Diplomacy at Work.
Note: Although you can purchase this publication online, it is also available in many libraries.
- The Department of State’s website: www.state.gov
- The U.S. Agency for International Development’s website: www.usaid.gov
- The United States Institute of Peace’s website: www.usip.org
- AFSA’s Foreign Service Journal: www.afsa.org/fsj-archives
- Information about the Foreign Service: careers.state.gov/work/foreign-service
- Association for Diplomatic Studies and Training: adst.org/
- The Wilson Center publications: www.wilsoncenter.org/publications
- The Wilson Center research: www.wilsoncenter.org/research
- Brookings Institute research: www.brookings.edu/research#iran/topics/
- The Center for Strategic and International Studies publications: www.csis.org/programs/strategic-technologies-program/publications
- Carnegie Endowment for International Peace publications: carnegieendowment.org/
- American Enterprise Institute: www.aei.org
- The Department of State’s list of think tanks: www.state.gov/s/p/tt/
- Writing, research, and bibliography guide: owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/
- Frontline Diplomacy: The Foreign Affairs Oral History Collection of the Association for Diplomatic Studies and Training: www.loc.gov/collection/foreign-affairs-oral-history/?q