Jobs at AFSA
Program Assistant, Professional Policy Issues
The American Foreign Service Association (AFSA) www.afsa.org seeks a full-time Program Assistant in the Professional Policy Issues Division in its Washington D.C. headquarters. Established in 1924, AFSA is the professional association and exclusive bargaining agent of the United States Foreign Service. The ideal candidate will be experienced in handling a wide range of program support-related tasks. He/she must be highly dependable, pro-active and organized, and possess good judgment, good humor and flexibility, have the ability to prioritize, multi-task and follow through and work under pressure with all levels of personnel in a timely fashion. Direct knowledge of and experience with the Foreign Service (State, USAID, Foreign Commercial Service, Foreign Agricultural Service, International Broadcasting Bureau) would be a strong asset.
- Bachelor’s Degree and strong writing, proofing and speaking skills.
- Ability to run all administrative and logistical aspects of programs, from setting up events and contacting participants to writing up meeting notes, with minimal supervision.
- Strong desire to take the initiative and improve program operations.
- Expert knowledge of MS Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook, as well as computer library organization, the Survey Monkey application, and basic webpage management.
- Organizational skills, including the coordination of complex executive-level meetings and the ability to reprioritize as needed.
- Strong presentation support skills, e.g. briefing books, power point and speech processing, biographic information gathering, logistical and travel arranging.
- First-rate telephone skills, including active listening and effective networking.
- Strong inter-personal communication skills.
- Foreign Service work experience or knowledge of the Foreign Service as a family member.
- Support experience in a member services environment.
Please send cover letter, salary requirements and resume by March 31st to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Program Assistant” in the subject line. AFSA offers an excellent benefits package and collegial working environment. No calls please.