Jobs at AFSA
Special Assistant/Office Manager
The American Foreign Service Association www.afsa.org seeks a Special Assistant/Office Manager to the AFSA USAID Vice President (www.afsa.org/usaid) for its Labor Management office at the Ronald Reagan Building, 1300 Pennsylvania Ave., Room 2.10-C. The position is on a part-time basis (25 hours per week). Established in 1924, AFSA is the professional association and exclusive bargaining agent of the U.S. Foreign Service.
The ideal candidate will be experienced in handling a wide range of administrative and executive support related tasks. He/she must be highly dependable, flexible, pro-active and organized. He/she also must possess good judgment and strong interpersonal skill and have the ability to prioritize, multi-task, follow through in a timely manner and work under pressure with all levels of personnel. Prior experience with a labor union or USAID is a plus.
REQUIREMENTS AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Bachelor’s Degree and strong writing, proofing, and critical thinking skills.
- Advanced user proficiency with MS Office application suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Excellent calendar management skills, including ability to organize and coordinate meetings with Agency counterparts.
- Responsible for maintaining all incoming/outgoing official correspondence for the Vice President as well as reviewing and providing input into bargaining proposals and attending meetings.
- Excellent telephone skills, including listening, accurate repetition.
- Strong inter-personal communication skills and ability to flag risks and delicate issues to the USAID Vice President and other labor-management colleagues.
- Ability to greet office walk-ins and provide direct assistance to AFSA members.
- Skills in proactively staffing and supporting a principal, and working well under tight deadlines and pressure.
- Eligibility to obtain a Public Trust Clearance.
Please provide salary requirements. AFSA offers an excellent benefits package and collegial working environment.
Please send a cover letter and resume with references to email@example.com by May 4, 2017 and indicate “Special Assistant Office Manager” No calls please.
Legislative Analyst for Foreign Service Issues
The American Foreign Service Association seeks a full-time Legislative Analyst for Foreign Service Issues to join its Professional Policy Issues (PPI) Department in its Washington, D.C., headquarters office. Established in 1924, AFSA is the professional association and exclusive bargaining agent of the U.S. Foreign Service.
The Legislative Analyst for Foreign Service Issues will be responsible for monitoring and analyzing legislation that directly impacts the Foreign Service, developing policy proposals and supporting related advocacy activities. The analyst will report directly to the Director of Professional Policy Issues and work with the AFSA President, other Governing Board officials, and other AFSA departments.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Tracking policy activity relevant to the Foreign Service, including elections, positions of various government officials and policymakers, legislation and other initiatives.
- Reviewing and analyzing legislation, policy proposals, AFSA member priorities, reports, data sets and other relevant materials in order to formulate policy recommendations and strategies in support of AFSA’s strategic priorities.
- Presenting findings and recommendations through written and oral communications to the AFSA President, senior leadership and other stakeholders.
- Supporting AFSA’s Ambassadorial Advisory Council comprised of distinguished career ambassadors, through logistical planning and preparing substantive briefing materials for meetings with policymakers.
- Developing written materials on legislative issues, such as policy articles, public statements, testimony, issue briefs, policy memos, etc.
- Responding to policy inquiries from policymakers, legislative staff, AFSA members and others.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Ability to work well under tight deadlines and pressure.
- Skills in proactively staffing and supporting a principal, and demonstrated ability to work well under tight deadlines and pressure.
- Experience in the Foreign Service, either as an employee or as a contractor.
- Policy research or Capitol Hill experience.
- Strong understanding of the Foreign Service human resources system.
- Team player with strong organizational management, analytical and interpersonal skills, as well as demonstrable adeptness in writing and verbal communications.
- Familiarity with legislative processes.
- At least five years of relevant professional experience.
The salary is $65,000 per year. AFSA offers an excellent benefits package and collegial working environment. EOE.
Please send a cover letter and resume with references to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 1, 2017 and indicate “Legislative Analyst for Foreign Service Issues” in the subject line. No calls please.